Becoming a Hybrid Marketer: 10 Resources for Acquiring SEO Smarts
A collection of valuable resources for SEO beginners and well-seasoned experts alike
April 20, 2015
Editor’s note: This post is part of an ongoing series in 2015 in which we provide B2B marketers with skill set development resources that can help them advance their careers. In this post, we provide resources that can help marketers improve their search engine optimization (SEO) know-how.
In my recent guest post on the Content Marketing Institute blog, I discussed how B2B marketers can advance their careers in the digital age. While it’s still important to have expertise in specific areas, I’ve found that, today, being a one-dimensional marketer is not conducive to getting ahead in the B2B world.
Being what I call a “hybrid marketer” means understanding how skills such as SEO, content, social media savvy, and other skills impact our ability to move the needle for ourselves and the organizations we work for.
When it comes to SEO, marketers don’t need to gain an intimate understanding of search engine algorithms. Rather, marketers simply need to have a basic understanding of how SEO impacts the “findability” of content. The following ten resources will get you there, and then some.
If you’re completely new to SEO, building a sound foundation of knowledge is your first step. Check out these three resources to get up to speed on the basics.
1. The Beginners Guide to SEO This classic resource from Moz includes chapters on how search engines work, keyword research, analytics, and other SEO topics. Check out the ground-level introduction to discover best practices you can put to immediate use in your content marketing.
2. Periodic Table of SEO Success Factors Get in the know about on-the-page and off-the-page elements that impact your SEO with this SlideShare presentation from Search Engine Land. Discover how content quality, keyword use, site architecture, and other factors influence search engine results pages (SERPs).
3. An Introductory Guide to PPC Also from HubSpot, this eBook outlines the potential benefits of paid search and how campaigns work. Find information on creating a keyword strategy, setting a PPC budget, optimizing ad copy, measuring performance, and other aspects of campaigns.
Taking to the Next Level: Tips and Tools from the Experts
Take your knowledge to the next level with specific tactics and tool recommendations from well-known SEO experts. These next four search resources are chock-full of insights you can use to optimize content.
4. SEO for 2015: How Search Has Changed and How Marketers’ Tactics Must Shift Moz CEO & Founder Rand Fishkin is a search heavyweight. See his SlideShare deck to learn how SEO changes may affect your content marketing this year. Then, stay up to date in 2015 by subscribing to Rand’s Whiteboard Friday series and other Moz updates.
Becoming Your Organization's Resident SEO Expert
How would you like to become the go-to SEO resource at your organization? Get there with the help of these final three advanced SEO resources.
8. The Advanced Guide to SEO Go beyond the basics with Neil Patel and Sujan Patel in this Quick Sprout resource for getting more out of SEO initiatives. The infographic-style presentation provides a deep dive look at topics like indexation, accessibility, site performance, and advanced data research.
9. Search Engine Journal YouTube Channel Another must-subscribe for anyone interested in what’s next in SEO, Search Engine Journal’s YouTube channel offers frequent posts with industry newsmakers. Hundreds of archived videos cover SEO strategy, local search, and much more.
10. 58 Resources to Help You Learn and Master SEO Dig into this KISSmetrics post for a nice blend of quick tips, resources, and insights. Explore information on Google and Bing Webmaster Tools, review industry-specific SEO best practices, and get a list of bookmark-worthy blogs on content marketing.
Improving your SEO is a great way to make sure your hard work gets noticed by the right people. Rounding out your knowledge doesn’t need to be hard; just nailing the basics can do wonders for your brand’s visibility. Use insights, practices, and tools from these resources and you’ll be well on your way to earning your “SEO savvy” label.
Looking for more tips to become a hybrid marketer in 2015? Download the Sophisticated Marketer’s Guide to LinkedIn and get ready to take your social media marketing to the next level.