Becoming a Hybrid Marketer: 10 Resources for Mastering Email and InMail
May 12, 2015
Editor’s note: This post is part of an ongoing series in 2015 in which we provide B2B marketers with skillset development resources that can help them advance their careers. In last week’s post, we compiled insights marketers of all experience levels can use to move the needle with social media marketing. In this post, we provide resources that can help marketers achieve better results using email and LinkedIn Sponsored InMail.
Despite periodic pronouncements that email marketing is dead, it remains the most effective channel for customer retention, according to a recent survey of marketers. A big part of email’s continued relevance can be chalked up to how it is evolving.
Enhanced targeting, automation, mobile consumption, and contextual messaging are among the trends shaping marketers’ use of email. The best practices of today’s hybrid marketer should be in tune with these advancements.
To help you plan, execute, and optimize email and Sponsored InMail campaigns as part of an effective overall B2B Marketing strategy, we offer up the following ten resources for inbox domination:
Go-To Beginner Resources
We all use email as part of our day-to-day, so there’s a good chance you have at least a basic understanding of how email campaigns work. Even so, these insightful resources can take you from “sort of sure” to savvy.
1. The Definitive Guide to Engaging Email Marketing Coming in at more than 150 pages, this Marketo resource is comprehensive in its coverage of email marketing principles. Discover chapters that address how to craft relevant emails, coordinate messaging across channels, measure critical metrics, and more. Appendices provide a listing of email marketing experts and reference links.
2. 7 Steps to Writing the Perfect LinkedIn InMail You’ll never draft a spammy InMail again after checking out this SlideShare deck from author and presenter Dionne Lew. The presentation outlines a step-by-step approach for using InMail to create personal connections.
Pro-Level Tips and Tricks
Now that you’ve got the basics down, it’s time for insights that will help you improve the bottom line. Dig into these resources for tips on getting the most from your future campaigns.
5. Email Lifecycle Strategies from the Swipe File Providing email subscribers with a personalized experience is all about understanding where they are in the buying cycle and addressing their specific needs. This SlideShare presentation from ExactTarget Marketing Cloud provides guidance on optimization for each stage of the buyer journey, referencing brand examples that are getting personalization right.
Delivering Content that Converts
You can have a large mailing list and the most sophisticated targeting techniques, but when it comes to email, it’s still the message that ultimately gets the job done. Dive into these resources to learn tips, tricks, and tweaks that can help you create email messages that inspire action.
8. 37 Tips for Writing Emails that Get Opened, Read, and Clicked Good writing can mean the difference between an email finding its target and being marked as “spam.” This illuminating Copyblogger post by Henneke Duistermaat reveals how to write emails that are eagerly anticipated, not trashed. Tips are broken down into categories devoted to helping you increase open rates, engage readers, and sell without alienating audiences.
9. 3 Steps to More Effective LinkedIn Messages & InMail Response To connect with prospects on LinkedIn via InMail, you must be able to quickly show that you deliver value. Jeff Molander offers a prospect-centric approach to InMail that can help you create messages that get higher open and response rates.
10. 20 Tips for Dramatically Better Emails Positioning, voice, value, and conversion optimization are the focus of this Vero resource. Review tips and brand examples to learn how you can create exclusivity, provide social proof, tap into current events, and use other best practices to increase the effectiveness of your email campaigns.
For most brands, email is a critical component of an integrated marketing strategy, helping to drive results in other areas. The resources here can help you plan and execute optimized, integrated campaigns that complement social media and content marketing efforts. The result can be a series of cohesive, contextual touchpoints that compel buyers to turn to your brand when they are ready to buy.
Ready to embark on your journey to become a true hybrid marketer? Our newly enhanced Sophisticated Marketer’s Guide to LinkedIn provides all the insights you need to get the most value out of LinkedIn.