Becoming a Hybrid Marketer: Improve Your Content Marketing Versatility
July 20, 2015
Editor’s note: This post is part of an ongoing series in 2015, in which we provide B2B marketers with resources that can help them advance their careers. In our last post, we compiled a list of sites to help you learn and master the art of conversion rate optimization. In this post, we provide resources to help marketers plan, execute, and optimize their content marketing practices.
From hybrid cars to hybrid peppers, having “the best of both worlds” is considered more and more to be a standard of excellence. In my recent post about the new hybrid marketer, I discuss why having a varying array of skills is important in our industry, too.
Of those competencies, content reigns supreme. Content marketing is basically the culmination of all your hybrid B2B marketing skills – it’s how you put them all together.
To help you expand your content know-how in each phase of the content lifecycle (planning, executing, evaluating), we’ve gathered the following 10 resources.
For the Planning Phase
- What the Smartest Content Marketers Have in Common This infographic, created for LinkedIn, is packed with information that can help you point your strategy in the right direction. Bookmark it as a go-to resource for making sure you’re keeping up with your competition.
- Competing With Content Marketing: 7 Steps to Success Easy to ready and actionable, the joint task force of HubSpot and Smart Insights has completely nailed it with this infographic. Keep it handy, as it lays out the content marketing process from start to finish.
- Copyblogger’s Content Marketing Page Copyblogger’s content marketing section is a treasure trove of information. With an entire content-marketing-specific eBook series, how can you go wrong? Read the eBooks; read the blog posts; watch the video. You won’t regret it.
- How to Create a Content Marketing Strategy Marketing powerhouse Jay Baer introduces this SlideShare presentation by telling us that “more than 80% of B2B marketers say they have a content marketing strategy, but only a third have documented that very same content marketing strategy.” I think that’s reason enough to check out the following:
For the Execution Phase
- The Content Warfare Podcast This podcast is designed to help you win the attention of an audience that everyone is vying for. Each week Podcast Host Ryan Hanley interviews the best content creators out there, like Mark Schaefer and Demian Farnworth.
- Content is Personal: Win Over Your Audience with Engagement This video is a must-see on taking your audience down the funnel. With Marketing VP Tia Newcomer and Marketo’s Michael Berger, this video talks about the principles of engagement and how to really apply them to your practices.
- Content Marketing Tools A to Z That You Can Use in 2015 and Beyond Tools, tools, tools! From time savers to time managers, word finders to spell checkers, this list is pretty close to exhaustive. It was put together by TopRank Online Marketing’s Lee Odden, who gathered suggestions from marketers who actually use them. There is a tool for everything, whether you need help with planning, reporting, or anything in between.
For the Evaluation Phase
- How to Effectively Evaluate Your Mid-Year Content Marketing Checklist You probably know it’s a good idea to evaluate the effectiveness of your marketing plan more often than once a year. Here are some highlights from a chat with Joe Pulizzi that will help you do just that.
- Solved Mysteries: Tracking Your Content Marketing ROI This eBook is another way to get to the bottom of content tracking, with the clear focus being on ROI. Walking readers though designing programs to be measurable from the start, or using “late-stage” metrics to discover missing pieces, there is something valuable here for everyone.
- The KISSmetrics Blog Analytics matter, and, as some of the infographics in this list will show, content marketers tend to have trouble tracking metrics. This blog will be a huge help to those who are struggling with finding the numbers that make a difference in your content strategy.
In a list of marketing resources, we couldn’t forget this one. Check out our update to the The Sophisticated Marketer’s Guide to LinkedIn for all the insights you need to get the most value out of the LinkedIn platform.