#GivingTuesday: An Invitation to Marketers to Give the Gift of Talent
A post in a series of '12 Days of Content', for marketers, by marketers
December 2, 2014
In 2012, New York’s 92 Street Y partnered with the United Nations Foundation to launch what would become a global celebration of generosity this time of year: #GivingTuesday. With a day dedicated to giving thanks, and two days dedicated to getting deals (Black Friday and Cyber Monday), why not have a day dedicated to giving back?
Today, Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014, people around the world are coming together to give. As marketers and as people, we have many talents worthy of gifting to others in need. That's why this #GivingTuesday, I am inviting marketing professionals around the globe to join me in donating your skills to help a nonprofit organization.
Why You Should Donate Your Marketing Skills For Good
Did you know that 41% of LinkedIn hiring managers consider volunteer work equally as valuable as paid work experience when evaluating candidates?
Here are just a few reasons why we've seen volunteering to be good for a professional's career:
- It's one of the safest ways of test-driving your passion as a career. You get to use your skills in a low-risk, high reward environment.
- Volunteering opens the door to new relationships. A future boss, employee, business partner... You never know who you're going to meet.
- It also opens the door to new opportunities. Simply put: it's something your prospective and current employer value in a worker today.
Plus, don't we all want to feel like we are making a positive impact? Leveraging your skills and interests to meet nonprofit needs is a rewarding way to do just that.
Where to Find Opportunities to Give
Need help finding a cause you care about? Allow me to introduce you to LinkedIn's Volunteer Marketplace.
Earlier this year, our LinkedIn For Good team launched this platform to help LinkedIn members find opportunities to give back and help nonprofits recruit the talent they need to succeed.
On LinkedIn, you can search for projects vetted by organizations like Catchafire, NPower, Taproot or VolunteerMatch, plus segment your search using filters like location, industry, experience level and more. In doing a quick search, I can see there are nearly 14,000 volunteer opportunities listed today, and over 2,200 of those are specifically in marketing.
So, if you're a social media marketer wanting to give some pro bono hours to a worthy cause, there are plenty of opportunities for you to discover on LinkedIn. Below are just a few I pulled based on a variety of interests and locations:
- Volunteer Social Media Manager with SOSMentor, focused on educating and empowering underserved Los Angeles youth to make healthy eating choices, live an active lifestyle, and become health advocates in their communities.
- Volunteer Social Media Manager with A Helping Hand, Inc., an innovative companion care provider in Raleigh-Durham, NC, committed to assisting seniors and individuals with disabilities maintain self-sufficiency, quality of life, and the highest level of independence.
- Volunteer Social Media Manager with InterSchool Orchestras of New York, providing a nurturing environment where all children can realize their personal best, achieve high artistic standards, and share music with the community.
- Volunteer Social Media Manager with In Defense of Animals, an international animal rights and rescue organization in the San Francisco Bay Area dedicated to protecting the rights, welfare and habitats of animals since 1983.
And there are many more opportunities out there! Start searching and find an organization to give the gift of your talent to this holiday season.
Help the Nonprofit You Care About with LinkedIn's Gift of Talent
Already volunteer with a nonprofit organization and want to help them even further? For the month of December, LinkedIn employees are encouraged to "Give the Gift of Talent" by *gifting* a free job posting and free volunteer posting (valued at ~$450 USD) to a nonprofit in need.
For nonprofits interested in receiving the Gift of Talent, we invite you to register your interest here so LinkedIn employees can find you, or reach out to a LinkedIn employee in your network.
If you’re interested in posting additional skilled volunteer, board and staff positions on LinkedIn, visit nonprofit.linkedin.com.
This post is the 2nd in a blog series helping marketers to celebrate the fact that the #HolidaysAreIn with others in their LinkedIn network. Check out more related posts in our ’12 Days of Content’ series below.