Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Entrepreneurs and How They’re Using LinkedIn
November 22, 2017
Editor’s Note: This is the third post in our Small Business Series on the LinkedIn Marketing Blog. The previous post can be found here.
There are more than 15 million entrepreneurs on LinkedIn in the United States and the United Kingdom. Entrepreneurs are quite engaged on LinkedIn and use the platform as a community to network with, to learn from other entrepreneurs, to follow successful entrepreneurs who are influencers, and to read about how to be more successful professionally.
On average, entrepreneurs are far more likely than the average LinkedIn member to engage heavily with the platform. Compared with other LinkedIn members, entrepreneurs:
- Are 3x more likely to share on LinkedIn.
- Are 24% more likely to check InMail.
- Have 67% more Company follows.
- Have 2x more connections.
Entrepreneurs, as you might expect, work in a variety of industries — from marketing to tech to education to health and beyond. They have a broad skillset, which they continue to grow with their focus on learning. They are 78% more likely to have group activity on LinkedIn, and they are members of a variety of different groups centered around entrepreneurship, startups, and relevant skills.
Top Industries Entrepreneurs Work In (indexed to general population):
- Marketing and advertising
- Information technology and services
- Higher education
- Computer software
- Writing and editing
- Management consulting
- Financial services
- Health, wellness and fitness
- Non-profit organization management
Top Skills Entrepreneurs List on Their LinkedIn Profiles (indexed to general population):
- Freelance Writing
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Web Marketing
- SEO Copywriting
- Website Development
- Image Manipulation
- Branding & Identity
- Logo Design
- Concept Development
- Motivational Speaking
Top Groups Entrepreneurs Belong to (indexed to general population):
- Creative Design Pros - Designers Forum
- Designers Talk: Graphic, web, digital design and creative professionals group
- Communication Arts
- On Startups - The Community For Entrepreneurs
- A STARTUP SPECIALISTS GROUP Online Global Network for Entrepreneurs, Startups (Business Jobs Careers)
- Advertising Professional
- Entrepreneurs HQ: Digital Marketing Small Business Startups Social Media Mobile SEO SEM Startup Jobs
- Media & Marketing Professionals Worldwide
- Film & TV Tech Professionals
- Private Equity, M&A, and Venture Capital Investments
Top Influencers Entrepreneurs Follow on LinkedIn (indexed to general population):
- Brad Feld, Managing Director, Foundry Group
- Ben Horowitz, Co-Founder, Andreesen Horowitz
- Steve Blank, Adjunct Professor, Stanford University
- Jason Calacanis, CEO, Inside.com
- Beth Kanter, Master Trainer, BethKanter.org
- Eric Ries, CEO, Long-Term Stock Exchange
- Reid Hoffman, Partner, Greylock
- Michael Moritz, Partner, Sequoia Capital
- Pete Cashmore, Founder, Mashable
- Brené Brown, Founder-CEO, Brave Leaders
- Gary Vaynerchuk, CEO, Vayner Media
Top Articles Entrepreneurs Engaged with in the Last Month
- The One Word That Can Hurt Your Reputation at Work, According to a Google and Apple Alum
- The moment that forever changed our lives
- 22 Years Ago, Steve Jobs Said 1 Thing Separates People Who Achieve From Those Who Only Dream
- Cam Newton Says Something Stupid, Loses Sponsors, and Then Puts on a Master Class in Sincere Apologies
- This is the one thing you should always be sure to say in a job interview
- Want to See If Someone Is a Good Leader? Send Them an Email
- How you Treat your Employees will determine the FATE of your company!
- Wife of 'American Sniper' Chris Kyle Just Issued Major Challenge to NFL — Every Player Should Read This
- Billionaire CEO Sara Blakely Says These 7 Words are the Best Career Advice She Ever Got
- Uber's New CEO Just Sent Employees a Very Troubling Email. Here's Why It's a Big Mistake
To ensure you don’t miss any of the posts in our small business series, subscribe to the LinkedIn Marketing Blog today.
1. Limited to US and UK Entrepreneurs.
2. LinkedIn defines Entrepreneurs as members with entrepreneur or freelance-related job titles, functions, or other profile information, as well as members who are the sole employee of their company.
3. Analysis is based on a sample of 10,000 Entrepreneurs and 10,000 baseline audience members.