What’s Trending in Marketing: Top Content of the Week
April 3, 2015
Spring has sprung. As the trees and flowers wake from their winter slumber, your marketing team may be thinking about the strategies you can start planting now at the start of a fresh quarter that will drive impact in the months ahead (and hopefully much, much longer).
This week’s trending content can help you plant the seeds of success, with a look at tactics of brands that are winning the content game, best practices for keeping content engaging, and new opportunities ahead in the future of marketing.
Top Marketing Articles to Read This Week
1. How to Break the Rules and Generate Great Content On this episode of the ContentPros Podcast, Unmarketing President and professional troublemaker Scott Stratten talks about his unique approach to marketing. “My best learning experiences in business have been from my mistakes", Stratten says. Read on to discover how Stratten is playing (and winning) with his own set of content marketing rules.
2. 7 Pointless Content Marketing Efforts You Should Stop Doing Today Speaking of bucking conventional wisdom, Express Writers CEO Julia McCoy has a list of common marketing mistakes to toss out of your repertoire. Discover how to avoid mistakes in approach, like treating content as sales material and failing to have goals, as well as pointless metrics and analytics you can do without.
3. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective B2B Marketers McCoy’s post above can help with what not to do. For what to do, check out this post from Heinz Marketing’s Matt Heinz. Learn how to keep your marketing revenue-responsible, focused, persona-driven, productive, balanced, agile, and empathic.
4. How HubSpot and LinkedIn Absolutely Crush Their B2B Marketing We were delighted to be featured in Dillon Baker's Contently post this week amongst B2B rockstars like Hubspot's Kipp Bodnar. In the post, Dillon breaks down how LinkedIn and content powerhouse HubSpot create compelling B2B marketing with a commitment to content, robust metrics and testing, a willingness to learn from failure, and strategic use of multimedia.
5. How Content Marketers Can Tell Better, More Strategic Stories One way to create memorable content is to tell a great story. LinkedIn’s own Senior Content Marketing Manager, Jason Miller, shared his insights on storytelling at Social Media Marketing World 2015. This piece from TopRank’s Brooke Furry rounds up Jason’s key takeaways. Check it out for tips on telling your brand’s story in a way that will connect with your audience.
6. 8 Absolutely Brilliant Content Marketing Innovations from the World’s Best Brands For more examples of content marketing done well, dig into this piece from Crazy Egg and Kissmetrics founder Neil Patel. He dives deep into the methods and tactics of brands that are doing content marketing right, from old-school giants like IBM to newcomers like Hootsuite and Buffer.
7. 5 Tips for an Effective Mobile Content Marketing Strategy Google recently announced they will be including mobile-friendly factors into their page rankings, which means catering to mobile audiences is more important than ever to content marketing success. Oracle’s Content Strategist Steve Olenski offers five tips for getting mobile right, from ensuring device compatibility to adding mobile features on your existing content.
8. 6 Reasons Why Marketers Should Bet on Podcasting Another result of the proliferation of smartphones is the exploding popularity of podcasting. In her piece for HubSpot, Scalable Social Media’s Alisa Meredith makes a convincing argument for this unconventional form of content. Check it out to see what makes podcasting a compelling option for content marketers.
9. 5 New Types of Content for the Future of Marketing You may be dipping a toe into podcasting today, but what will content marketing look like a year from now? Or a decade from now? Dan Cristo, the Director of SEO Innovation at GroupM, checks out a few technologies that might be key players in the marketing of the future. Read on for the lowdown on emerging trends like livestreaming, augmented reality, virtual reality, and even nanotechnology.
10. 25 Things You Missed at SXSW 2015 You would be hard-pressed to find a more future-minded crowd than the brilliant marketers who descend on Austin, TX for South by Southwest (SXSW). Altimeter's Brian Solis lays out the inspiring, slightly off-kilter revelations he brought home from this year’s festival in this SlideShare, whimsically-illustrated by Gapingvoid’s Chief Creative Officer Hugh MacLeod.
For more marketing tips that will help your team blossom, subscribe to our blog.