What’s Trending in Marketing: Top Content of the Week
July 24, 2015
Late summer is prime road-tripping season. Time to load up the car with snacks, compile some killer spotify playlists and hit the open road. With any road trip, there’s one essential question to answer: Will you pick a destination and get there as fast as you can, or will you hit the backroads and see what wonders you can find off the beaten path?
As hybrid marketers, we should blend the two road trip approaches for our career itinerary. We should have goals set for each campaign and move directly toward achieving them, sure. But we should also be open to taking the road less traveled – a path that often leads to discovery and innovation. As you read this week’s roundup of trending marketing content, keep an eye out for interesting detours you can add to your trip.
Top Marketing Content to Read This Week:
- Why You Should Focus on Trust, Not Traffic Marketing consultant and The Content Code author Mark Schaefer believes web traffic is a misleading metric, since most web traffic consists of casual, one-time visits. In this piece for JeffBullas.com, he argues the goal should be to create “residents, not tourists,” by building trust, rather than focusing on traffic.
- 9 Formatting Tactics that Will Double Your Reader’s Average Time on Page Part of turning tourists into residents is giving them a reason to stick around. Crazy Egg Co-founder Neil Patel details how to optimize your content so it appeals to readers with varying attention spans and reading styles in this post on the Quicksprout blog.
- How to Turn 1 Idea into 2 Months of Content Marketing (and More) In this post for the Content Marketing Institute, Published and Profitable’s Roger C. Parker outlines a strategy for serializing blog content. Roger includes a template you can use to expand an initial idea into a nine-part series.
- 7 Content Growth Hacks to Help Drive More Qualified Traffic Make sure your content reaches as much of your audience as possible with these tips from MeasuredSEM LLC Co-Founder Ken Lyons. In his post on Search Engine Watch’s blog, Ken provides practical advice on tactics from freshening up old content to responsible link building.
- How to Master Content Marketing on LinkedIn Linkfluencer Founder Alex Pirouz shows you how to get the most utility out of LinkedIn’s content sharing platforms in this piece for the HubSpot Marketing Blog.
- How to Create a Social Media Marketing Plan from Scratch Learn how to get started with social media marketing with this post on BufferSocial from Content Crafter Kevan Lee. Kevan augments his advice with an easy-to-read infographic that sums up his 6-point plan.
- The Inbound Marketing Economy Moz and Fractl just finished an analysis of over 75,000 marketing job listings. Kelsey Libert, Partner and VP of Marketing at Fractl, presents their findings on the current state of the industry, job growth per specialization, and the most sought-after skills for new marketing positions.
- How to Increase Your Post Reach on Top Social Networks Learn how to enhance your organic reach with the promotion options available on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Instagram with this post from Freelance Writer Kristi Hines. Kristi covers the major options available on each service in her comprehensive guide on Social Media Examiner’s blog.
- 5 Ways Advisors Can Win Affluent Millenials’ Affection: LinkedIn ThinkAdvisor staff writer Emily Zulz presents key takeaways for financial advisors from LinkedIn’s recently published 2015 United States Affluent Millennial Research Study.
- Contextual Marketing and the New Marketing Contract In this SlideShare, Altimeter’s Principal Analyst Brian Solis introduces the concept of “Generation C,” a generation of connected customers who act like Millennials but consist of every generation, including Gen Z’ers and Baby Boomers. Brian outlines his strategy for building meaningful relationships with these always-online, always-sharing consumers.
Fuel your marketing machine with the latest marketing trends, tips, and practical advice when you subscribe to the LinkedIn Marketing Solutions blog.