Trending Content of the Week: Attention is the Gift that Keeps on Giving
December 18, 2015
In one of my favorite eBooks we published this year, Brian Solis and Hugh MacLeod taught us that Attention Is a Currency. This time of year, though, there’s another useful way marketers can think of attention: It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
It starts when we give our attention to our customers. This allows us to create content that inspires them to give us their attention, which helps us understand them better. And the cycle just keeps going. This holiday season, try thinking about “giving” attention instead of “paying” it. Make it a gift, and see what gifts you receive in return.
This week’s roundup of top marketing articles will help you start the cycle of giving with your audience.
Top Marketing Articles to Read This Week:
1. How Content Marketers Can Tell Better Stories with Data The Lavin Agency’s Alexandra Samuel details how to pull a compelling, human-centered narrative from your company’s data in this article for the Harvard Business Review.
2. Content Marketing 101: What Kind of Content Actually Gets Links (and What Kind Should You Avoid)? It’s always a valuable exercise to look at content from an SEO perspective. In this piece for the SearchEngine Journal, Upper Ranks CEO David Farkas looks at content strategy that helps you build link credibility for better search engine ranking.
3. How to Decide if You Should Go Wide or Deep with Your Content The type of content that works best varies wildly depending on your audience. Rather than offer a one-size-fits-all solution, Ad Labs Inc.’s Jon Nastor thoroughly explores pros, cons, and best practices for each type of content in this Copyblogger article.
4. Why You Shouldn’t Care that One-Third of Readers Despise Your Content In this post for the Content Marketing Institute, Docalytics Co-Founder Steve Peck advocates for focused content that resonates with your most valuable audience, rather than trying to please everyone.
5. Social Customer Service: How to Care for Customers with Social Media In a crowded marketplace, companies increasingly have to compete on customer experience. Humana’s Head of Digital Marketing Dan Gingiss explains how Humana uses social media to improve customer relationships in this episode of the Social Media Marketing podcast.
6. The 1-Hour Documented Content Marketing Strategy Learn how to start building your content marketing strategy with these tips from Vertical Measures’ Quinn Whissen. In this post for Marketing Land, Quinn shows you how to invest “one simple hour to align your team within a broad-strokes vision to get buy-in, commitment and just some plain darn excitement for what you’re going to do.”
7. Strategies for Using LinkedIn for Masterful Content Marketing in 2016 In this post for Business 2 Community, Social Media & Content Marketing Consultant Brian Honigman presents a round-up of content marketing strategies from experts including Post Planner CMO Rebekah Radice and LinkedIn Marketing Solutions’ Jason Miller.
8. Stop Marketing Like It’s 2012 Even though it’s only been three years, 2012 was an eternity ago in Internet time. VaynerMedia CEO Gary Vaynerchuk highlights seven strategies that are well past their prime for today’s marketing landscape.
9. Why Content Strategy Isn’t Enough For Mack Web Founder & CEO Mackenzie Fogelson, building a purposeful, customer centered brand must come before content strategy if new businesses are to succeed. Her post on the Moz blog explains how the process of making a “better company” might work, with examples from brands doing it right.
10. 40+ Predictions on Content Marketing in 2016 Content Marketing Institute Founder Joe Pulizzi presents predictions from 40 thought leaders in the marketing profession (including his own) in this SlideShare.