Sales Navigator CRM Sync & Activity Writeback for Salesforce
- Time required: Less than 30 minutes
- You will need to be a Salesforce Full System Admin (with access to View and Modify All Data) on one of the following editions:
- Salesforce: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, or Developer edition
- Salesforce: Professional Edition requires API Access (may require an additional fee. Please contact your Salesforce account team.)
- Completed installation of the Sales Navigator for Salesforce App
- See our LinkedIn Sales Navigator for Salesforce Installation Guide here to learn more
- Sales Navigator Team or Sales Navigator Enterprise edition
- A Sales Navigator Administrator + Team Member Seat is required. Admin Only seats can configure the feature, but will NOT be able to verify full functionality for other roles
- This guide will walk you through the process of activating the CRM Sync, including Activity Writeback, between Sales Navigator and Salesforce
- Note: All CRM Sync features, including Activity Writeback are NOT supported for Person Account types
- CRM Sync includes features available both from the desktop version of LinkedIn Sales Navigator and the Sales Navigator app (iOS and Android)
- When authenticating your sync, we highly recommend using an Integration User (rather than a personal or other generic admin account) and we require access to View and Modify All Data
- Note: The use of an Integration User is recommended since personal admin credentials can be revoked when that user leaves the company or their role changes. Using an Integration User can prevent accidental sync disconnection due to permissions changes
- Once notes, tags, InMails/Messages are transferred from Sales Navigator to your CRM, the Admin will be listed as the individual who created the note, tag, etc. The Owner (Sales Navigator seat holder) is the individual who created the action, but we show the Admin as the creator
- If you choose not to use an Integration User on initial setup and desire to change after setup, you can always un-sync and then re-sync with the Integration User as the Salesforce Admin
- Sandbox installation is not supported at this time
1. Log in to LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
2. Select Admin > Admin Settings.
3. Within Admin Settings, go to CRM Settings.
4. Select Connect to CRM.
5. From the Pop-up window that appears, please select Salesforce to authenticate access.
- Note: If the Pop-up window doesn’t appear you may have been previously connected. Please try to initiate sync from a Private Browsing window within Firefox or Chrome Incognito, as some issues can be caused by CRM cookie conflicts. If you still see an error message after trying, contact support for further assistance at https://www.linkedin.com/help/sales-navigator.
6. When the connection is successful, you will see that Connected to Salesforce shows up under CRM Settings with Last synced plus date.
7. If you see the following message, allow 24 hours for the 2 systems to sync. If you continue to experience issues, contact support @ https://www.linkedin.com/help/sales-navigator
Note: Once you have successfully established a sync between your CRM and Sales Navigator, you will need to set your Sales Navigator CRM Settings for your organization. These settings will only appear after the initial connection.
Under CRM Settings, complete the following:
Auto sync all seat holders with CRM (Salesforce)? (Yes or No)
- Although it is optional, we recommend keeping it set to Yes to maximize value for your team.
- If you select No or you want to make any individual sync changes, visit your Admin/Seat Management page (in the Admin dropdown).
2. At which stage does your sales team consider an opportunity to enter your pipeline?
Note: Fields available will depend on your CRM settings and choosing Not Sure will still allow the feature to work and pull all open opportunities.
3. Where do you store the value for a won opportunity?
Note: Fields available will depend on your CRM settings and choosing Not Sure will still allow the feature to work.
For the Opportunity owner, CRM Accounts and Contacts are saved for all of their open Opportunities whose stage is beyond the stage chosen in Step 2. This stage is set by the Admin for all Sales Navigator seat holders. For more details click here.
Note: Activity writeback setup is not required but highly recommended to experience full sync functionality.
Writeback will allow you to save InMails, Messages, Notes, and Calls that you create in Sales Navigator directly within your CRM as activities. (Note: Saving Calls in Sales Nav is for Mobile app initiated calls only.)
Writeback is compatible with both desktop and mobile applications. This is the final step in completing the two-way sync between Sales Navigator and your CRM.
- First, click Admin, then select Admin Settings.
2. Within Admin Settings, go to CRM Settings, and select Change.
3. Select Enable Sales Navigator data to sync back to your CRM?
Note: If you’ve recently installed but you see the message below, please allow up to 24 hours for the system to sync.
4. Select which items you would to enable writeback functionality on. Choose, Sync back all data items if you want to include all features.
5. Test writeback by clicking the Test Write-Back button, which will create a test Contact record and automatically create each type of test activity for you to review. You may view the sample record by selecting View in CRM.
Note: If you have any validation rules requiring an email address for contacts, this test record will not be created. You can temporarily disable this rule if you would like to test activity writeback this way. You will need to delete this record in your CRM to permanently remove it.
We recommend you share how information appears in this test with your Sales Navigator seat holders to assist them with building reports.
If you have additional questions or require assistance, you can reach LinkedIn Sales Solutions support at https://www.linkedin.com/help/sales-navigator
Location of Sales Navigator information in your CRM
Seat holders may choose to activity write back individual InMails, Messages, or Notes to their CRM by selecting the copy to CRM button. If you prefer not to send back to your CRM, simply deselect this option.
InMails and Messages will appear under Past Activities of the matched Contact/Lead record of your CRM.
• Notes will appear under the Notes & Attachments section on the related Contact/Lead/Account record.
• Only calls initiated from the Sales Nav Mobile App will appear within Past Activities of the matched contact record of your CRM.
If a person or company is not matched between Sales Navigator and your CRM, you will be able to find the Unassigned Activities within the LinkedIn Unresolved Activities report.
People and Company matching issues between Sales Navigator and your CRM
If the Embedded Profile is not matched, seat holders can manually create a match in your CRM using our Embedded Profile display to complete the sync.
• For information on matching between your CRM and Sales Navigator Embedded Profile /display widget, please visit here. (The CRM badge matching is separate from this.)
• If the Blue CRM badge is not showing on the Sales Navigator Lead Profile but the Embedded Profile display is matched, please see this article about how to manually correct this match: here.