Sales Job Descriptions: 4 Customizable Templates for Key Roles That You Can Use Today
July 3, 2018
Year after year, sales jobs are consistently some of the hardest to fill. With sales roles playing such a crucial part in your company’s growth, a strong and persuasive job description is vital to attract top sales talent.
To help make your next job ad more enticing than ever, we’ve put together templates for the four most popular sales roles that recruiters are looking to fill—and you can download them for free in our new ebook: “23 winning job descriptions.”
Each template combines proven strategies with easy-to-customize sections—letting you add a personal touch to your job posts in seconds. This includes an option to add an “about us” section at the end to make your company stand out. Here are the four most popular sales roles, and the links to download each template.
Account manager job description
Account managers need to be great communicators who are attuned to customers’ needs. The job description for this position highlights the importance of these skills and offers a compelling glimpse into what the day-to-day work will be like.
We’re looking for an account manager to join our team to grow new product sales by enabling customer success and identifying upsell opportunities for our key accounts.
The ideal candidate will be able to appropriately identify the customer’s needs and help them succeed in using our product. This will be done by developing an appropriate level of communication with clients and internal team members to better understand and mitigate any issues the customer may face.
- Work cross functionally within the company to communicate with all account stakeholders
- Gain a deep understanding of the customer’s business and partner in their ongoing success
- Visit clients to identify opportunities for growth and manage renewal negotiations
- Manage all reporting about the health of customers’ accounts
- 2-3 years previous account management experience
- Articulate and well accustomed to a client-facing role
- Rank and deliver competing priorities and tasks
- Willingness and ability to travel
About us (optional)
A short description of the company itself: aspirational goals, market position, social events, perks and amenities, and favorable location if applicable.
We've removed the "About us" section from the next three templates to avoid repetition, but you can insert this information in each of them.
When it comes to responsibilities, this template outlines four key tasks the ideal candidate will excel in, including working cross functionally to communicate with shareholders and developing a deep understanding of customers’ businesses. You can also add extra details that are unique to your company.
The requirements section is clear and straightforward, helping candidates instantly assess wherever they’re a good fit. This includes relevant experience and core skills like communication and prioritization. It also stresses that travel will be a big part of the role, letting anyone who isn’t willing or able to travel self-select out at an early stage.
To download the customizable account manager template, click here.
Account executive job description
Account executives are crucial for driving new business—and with so many accounts to juggle, they need to be highly organized. The template for this role emphasizes multitasking prowess, and interpersonal skills are a must.
Our team is looking for a talented, motivated, and high-performing account executive to join our team. Account executives are responsible for prospecting new business, upselling, and cross-selling within our extensive install base, as well as delivering results against a quota.
The ideal candidate will possess strong sales, interpersonal, and organizational skills. They should be comfortable with multitasking and able to budget their resources in order to meet the assigned quotas for their role.
- Build and maintain client relationships
- Develop product expertise
- Lead discovery calls, presentations, and demos
- Track and record metrics throughout sales process
- Create and manage pipeline of qualified leads
- Partner with product and marketing to provide feedback from prospects
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of business experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce
- Ability to harness financial data to inform decisions
The main responsibilities highlighted expand on the diverse nature of the daily work, from leading discovery calls and demos to tracking metrics and managing a pipeline of qualified leads. As with most sales positions, the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with clients is also crucial.
As for requirements, this template builds on the core skills highlighted in the overall summary while also noting the technical competencies needed (like Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce proficiency).
To download the customizable account executive template, click here.
Business development manager job description
Business development managers help grow the business and increase revenue. That means they need to be strategic, goal-oriented, and comfortable with networking, because they’ll constantly be pursuing new sales opportunities.
We’re looking for someone who networks, makes connections, builds relationships, and pursues opportunities. You will lead our efforts to generate revenue with new clients by executing a disciplined new business development protocol. You will research industry segments and company profiles, follow up on trade journal leads and opportunities, and coordinate with brand marketing for the pursuit of other targets.
The ideal candidate will be focused, have strong communication skills, and have the ability to think strategically.
- Prepare specific client pitch materials, including RFP responses
- Enable partner success through relationship management, cross-functional planning, and analytical insights and support
- Develop strategies and business plans for meeting growth and revenue milestones
- Create scalable programs for onboarding new partners
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years’ equivalent experience
- Prior industry-related business development experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven knowledge and execution of successful development strategies
- Focused and goal-oriented
The responsibilities of this role are highly strategic in nature. From creating client pitch materials to developing business plans, you want your candidate to know they’ll be blazing an exciting trail.
As a more senior role, the requirements for this position are more specific—including prior industry-related business development experience and proven knowledge and execution of successful development strategies. Those crucial soft skills like focus and communication are also detailed, helping give candidates a clear understanding of whether they’re right for the role.
To download the customizable business development manager template, click here.
Sales manager job description
The final sales job description template, for a sales manager, requires the ability to coordinate and motivate an entire team to achieve a shared goal. That means communication, again, is a must—along with a logistical mindset and a willingness to help meet clients’ needs.
We’re looking for an experienced and well-rounded sales manager to lead our regional sales team. You will lead a high-performing, well-established team of seasoned sales professionals who are already in seat.
The ideal candidate is a motivated, well-organized individual who has a deep understanding of prospecting and developing strong relationships with customers. They will provide complete and appropriate solutions for every customer in order to boost top-line revenue growth.
- Develop and execute strategies to drive business in new and existing markets
- Timely and accurate forecasting to build predictable and recurring revenue
- Establish and maintain positive business and customer relationships
- Manage, coach, and develop team of sales representatives
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years’ equivalent experience
- Sales and management experience
- Strong time-management skills
- Highly motivated and target driven
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
A sales manager’s responsibilities include strengthening their team, developing business strategies, and accurately forecasting revenue. They’ll also spend a lot of time helping clients, so building and maintaining great relationships is important.
While a bachelor’s degree and sales and management experience are standard for this role, the requirements section also highlights the soft skills and traits that a top candidate will possess. Ideally, they’ll have a highly motivated and target-driven personality, and strong time-management skills.
To download the customizable sales manager template, click here.
Get a head start on your next job post
These templates provide a quick and easy way to populate your sales job descriptions and make the most of your limited word counts. Of course, you’ll want to add other details specific to your company and the role itself, but this is a great place to start. Add a few enticing sentences about your culture and appeal to a candidate’s aspirations to really pique their interest.
To find 23 pre-made and candidate-friendly templates for a variety of departments and roles, from sales to finance and beyond, download the full ebook today.
To receive blog posts like this one straight in your inbox, subscribe to the blog newsletter.