The 10 Must-Read Articles for Recruiters This Week
January 29, 2021
Last year saw incredible disruption and change, and although there is much to be hopeful for in 2021, many talent leaders are hesitant to say that the New Year will see a return to life as we knew it prepandemic. Brian Kropp, chief of HR research at Gartner, is one of those leaders preaching patience — and an acceptance that there’s more change to come. “It would be nice,” he writes in the Harvard Business Review, “to believe that 2021 will be about stability and getting back to normal; however, this year is likely to be another full of major transitions.”
You can check out all nine of his trends to watch in the article at the top of our list below, but a few highlights to pique your curiosity:
- Employee experience will continue to expand into workers’ personal lives, including increasing support for mental health, financial health, and even getting a good night’s sleep.
- The remote work revolution will open doors for many, but could exacerbate the gender-wage gap as men return to the office and women, shouldering child and eldercare duties, continue to work from home.
- With a looming skills gap on the horizon, recruiters may be tasked with “renting” talented employees instead of hiring them outright.
And further down our list, you can also read an investigation into Canada’s increasing gender-wage gap (despite government attempts at reform); a case against “follow your passion” as career advice; a glimpse inside the minds of CHROs; and more.
Here are the must-read articles for this week:
1. 9 Trends That Will Shape Work in 2021 and Beyond (Harvard Business Review)
2. This Is the Power Gap: Explore the Investigative Series and Data (The Globe and Mail)
3. Why a Free Afternoon Each Week Can Boost Employees’ Sense of Autonomy (Fast Company)
4. How the Remote Work Era Impacts Your 2021 DEI Efforts (Talent Culture)
5. How Do I Keep My Team Engaged When the World Is on Fire? (Quartz at Work)
6. LinkedIn Data Shows Women and Gen Z Are More Likely to Apply to Remote Jobs (LinkedIn Talent Blog)
8. Why You Should Ditch ‘Follow Your Passion’ Careers Advice (Financial Times)
10. Has the Pandemic Transformed the Office Forever? (The New Yorker)
To receive blog posts like this one straight in your inbox, subscribe to the blog newsletter.