Enable Sales Navigator CRM Sync & Activity Writeback for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales
Integrating your LinkedIn Sales Navigator app with your Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales account helps you to search for LinkedIn leads, contacts, accounts, opportunities, and access other LinkedIn features through your CRM. CRM Sync includes features available both from the desktop and mobile (iOS and android) versions of LinkedIn Sales Navigator. This guide will walk you through the process of enabling the CRM Sync, including Activity Writeback, between Sales Navigator and Microsoft Dynamics 365.
Ensure to complete the below requirements before you proceed with the CRM sync:
2.1 Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales
- Microsoft Admin account that is one of the following editions:
o Microsoft Dynamics 2016 online (including 0.1 and update 1 releases)
o Dynamics 365 (online only), running on version 8.2 or higher
- Completed installation of the Sales Navigator for Dynamics 365 Sales app, installed by a Dynamics Administrator. Learn more about the installation of Sales Navigator here.
- Microsoft Dynamics 2016 on-premise isn’t supported.
- Sandbox installation is not supported. If you connect to an instance, and want to change it later, it will take up to 30 days to remove any prior imported data.
2.2 Sales Navigator
You’ll need access to:
- Sales Navigator Team or Sales Navigator Enterprise license
- Sales Navigator Team Member Administrator + Team Member license
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales Admin license to authenticate access between your organization's CRM and LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
- When connecting, we highly recommend you use an Integration User, or generic user name, when you login as an Admin.
- Admin Only seats can configure the feature but won’t be able to verify full functionality for other roles.
2.3 Supported browsers and other requirements
Java script enabled browser is required to enable CRM sync.
3. Connect Sales Navigator with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales
3.1 Enable CRM Sync
To connect Sales Navigator with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales:
1. Log into LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
2. Click ADMIN > Admin Settings.
3. Within Admin Settings, go to CRM Settings.
4. Select Connect to CRM.
Note: A pop-up window appears to select the applicable CRM. If the pop-up window doesn’t appear, you may have been previously connected. Try to initiate sync from a private browsing window within Firefox or Chrome Incognito, as some issues can be caused by CRM cookie conflicts. If you still see an error message after trying, contact support for further assistance at https://www.linkedin.com/help/sales-navigator.
5. Click Microsoft Dynamics to authenticate access.
- A window appears prompting you to login into your CRM. Once you complete it, we’ll be able to access the required information. We don’t support Sandbox login. When the connection is successful, you’ll see Disconnect CRM sync under CRM Settings with Last synced date. Wait for 24 hours for the two systems to sync completely. If you continue to experience issues, contact support @ https://www.linkedin.com/help/sales-navigator.
- Once you have successfully established a sync between your CRM and Sales Navigator, you’ll need to configure your Sales Navigator CRM Settings for your organization. If you choose not to use an Integration User, or generic user name, on initial setup, you can always un-sync and then re-sync with the Integration User as the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales Admin.
3.2 Troubleshooting Errors During CRM Sync
- Error Message: Could not connect to CRM. Please try again later.
Workaround: Try the CRM sync again.
- Error Message: The CRM API reported an error. Please try again later.
Workaround: For errors with your API access, check with CRM system's uptime or your CRM representative.
- Error Message: Your CRM account does not have sufficient access privileges. Please check with your CRM administrator.
Workaround: Connect with your internal CRM administrator to obtain required access privileges.
- Error Message: Could not read the required CRM objects from your org.
Workaround: Refer to the security whitepaper by your LinkedIn Customer Success Manager.
4. Configure CRM Sync Settings
4.1 Sales Navigator CRM Settings
Once you successfully establish the sync between your CRM and Sales Navigator, you’ll need to set your Sales Navigator CRM Settings for your organization. The CRM Sync saves Sales Navigator seat holders’ time by automatically importing the Accounts and Contacts associated with open Opportunities that are assigned to them in the CRM. Accounts and Contacts are automatically saved as Accounts and Leads in Sales Navigator. This enables Sales Navigator to automatically deliver updates to Sales Navigator seat holders on the most important people and companies.
For the opportunity owner, CRM Accounts and Leads are saved for all of their open Opportunities whose stage is beyond the stage chosen in Step 2 below. This stage is set by the admin for all Sales Navigator seat holders. For more details, click here.
Use the guidelines below to complete the fields in the CRM Settings page. To navigate to CRM Settings page, log into your Sales Navigator account and go to ADMIN > Admin Settings > CRM Settings.
Auto sync all seat holders with CRM?
· Although is optional and we recommend keeping set to Yes to maximize value for your team.
· If you select No or you want to make any individual sync changes, please visit your Admin/Seat Management page to manage sync by individual seat holder.
At which stage does your sales team consider an opportunity to enter your pipeline?
Fields available will depend on your CRM settings and choosing Not Sure will still allow the feature to work and pull all open opportunities.
Where do you store the value for a won opportunity?
Fields available will depend on your CRM settings and choosing Not Sure will still allow the feature to work. For the opportunity owner, CRM Accounts and Contacts are saved for all of their open Opportunities. Click here to learn more.
This is set by the admin for all Sales Navigator seat holders. Click here to learn more.
Enable Sales Navigator data to sync back to your CRM?
Refer to “Enabling Activity Writeback Functionality” to complete this section.
· This is currently only available to those with a Sales Navigator Enterprise edition subscription, click here to Learn More.
· For more information on enabling Data Validation, refer to the Sales Navigator Data Validation for Dynamics 365 guide.
Enable Contact Creation
Review this article to complete this section.
4.2 Enable Writeback Functionality
Writeback allows you to save information you create in Sales Navigator, both from the desktop and mobile app, including InMails, messages, and notes, directly within your CRM. This will complete the two-way sync between Sales Navigator and CRM.
Follow the steps below to enable writeback:
1. From your Sales Navigator homepage, click Admin > Admin Settings > CRM Settings.
2. Select the items you want to writeback under Enable Sales Navigator to sync back data to your CRM? Click Sync back all data items to select all items.
Notes: Smart Links will be written back to your CRM by default and you can’t opt out of it.
6. Once installation has been successfully completed within Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales, refresh your page in LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
7. Repeat writeback Steps 1 – 3.
8. Select Yes under Enable Sales Navigator to sync back data to your CRM?
9. Select the items to enable writeback functionality on. Select Sync back all data items if you want to include all features (recommended).
Note: CRM writeback supports LinkedIn members with and without matched CRM records. If writeback occurs and a matched record exists, the activity will be written as a closed activity. If a matched record doesn’t exist, the activity will be written as an open activity.
5. Writeback Experience for Sales Navigator Seat Holders
Activity Writeback allows Sales Navigator seat holders to save information they create in Sales Navigator, including InMails, messages, and notes, directly within your CRM. Seat holders will see Copy to CRM, Copy message to CRM, Copy thread to CRM, or similar in any area that allows them to sync information from Sales Navigator to your CRM.
Seat holders may choose to remove individual InMails, messages, or notes from the sync by un-checking the copy.
5.2 Location of Sales Navigator information in your CRM
Item Written Back to CRM
Location in CRM
InMails, messages, and notes
Activity History under the Matched Contact Record section
Calls initiated from the Sales Navigator mobile app
Under Past Activities of the matched contact record of your CRM
If a person or company is not matched between Sales Navigator and your CRM
Under Unassigned Activities within the LinkedIn Unresolved Task reportNote: If a match is not found between the LinkedIn member and your CRM, seat holders may be asked to manually create a record in your CRM to complete the sync. For information on matching between your CRM and Sales Navigator, visit here.
Smart Link Views
Under Past Activities of the matched Contact/Lead record.
6. Frequently Asked Questions
Below are frequently asked questions on Sales Navigator CRM sync:
- How does the ownership and creation of information between Sales Navigator and Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales operate?
All information copied from Sales Navigator to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales will be listed as an Activity in Dynamics. The License Holder is always the owner of any information shared between Sales Navigator and Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales. However, the Admin who initiated the sync will be shown as the creator in all notes, tags, and InMails/messages. This is why we recommend using an Integration User as the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales Admin.
- How does reporting in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales with writeback work?
If you are creating reports in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales based on writeback, please keep in mind that the admin will be listed for all information. The owner (Sales Navigator seat holder) is the individual who created the action, but we show the admin as the creator.
- Where can I find more information on CRM Sync, including the app, and the security or technical aspects of CRM Sync and writeback?
Please visit here: https://www.linkedin.com/help/sales-navigator/answer/82207
7. Additional Resources