8 Quotes From Talent Leaders That Will Help Prepare You for 2018
January 8, 2018
It’s 2018. A new year and a new chance to hone your recruiting skills. That’s why it’s the perfect time to look back at all the insights dropped in 2017. Whether you’re amped up on ambitious resolutions or you’re still recovering from the holidays, we can all use some extra inspiration.
So to help you look forward to 2018 with just the right amount of hindsight, we’ve collected these bite-sized bits of insights: eight of the most insightful quotes from last year’s leaders.
1. “If you’ve created a culture where vulnerability is not okay, you’ve created a culture where innovation is also not okay.”
Brené Brown dropped this pearl of wisdom at Talent Connect 2017, where she outlined why being vulnerable at work can be your biggest advantage.
She explained that vulnerability and courage allow you to have difficult, uncomfortable conversations with colleagues—and almost any company culture could improve by having more difficult discussions.
2. “We all have differences. Not talking about it is not acceptable. Silence is not an approach that works: it’s the conversations that really matter.”
As Goldman Sachs’ Global Head of Human Capital, Edith Cooper called out the elephant in the room when she started a conversation about race at her firm—and encouraged others to share their own stories. At Talent Connect, she shared how conversations might be uncomfortable, but they’re also vitally important: avoiding or ignoring them isn’t an option.
3. “When it comes to the changing workforce, there are really three themes that are worth calling out: AI and automation, the skills gap, and the rise of independent work.”
4. “Accept the fact that AI will change our work, but look at it as an enabler of your work and the future of talent acquisition.”
Luxoft’s VP of Global Marketing, Przemek Berendt, meticulously outlined how AI will disrupt recruiting and walked away with a positive message: things will change drastically, but ultimately for the better.
5. “We want to create an environment where every employee can bring their whole self to work and not just make a living but also have a life.”
As PepsiCo’s CEO, Indra Nooyi does an incredible job of retaining employees by giving them acknowledgement, purpose, autonomy, and a place to be themselves.
6. “When we listen and celebrate what is both common and different, we become a wiser, more inclusive, and better organization.”
LinkedIn’s former CHRO reinvigorated the conversation about diversity and inclusion by highlighting the importance of belonging. It’s not enough to check off boxes: companies need to make everyone feel like they belong.
7. “Hiring people into their dream job can genuinely change their lives for the better. It’s an incredible feeling and ultimately why you will continue to pursue a career in recruitment.”
Looking back to what he wish he knew when he started recruiting, Joe Burridge takes a step back to see the big-picture impact recruiters make: changing lives for the better every day.
8. “I’m in business of recruiting and hiring, but I’m [really] in the business of making memories.”
In discussing how storytelling is a tragically ignored recruiting skill, LinkedIn’s Head of Talent Acquisition Brendan Brown shows how an effective pitch isn’t just about impressive numbers or promises—it’s about creating a memorable experience.
Drive yourself further with more insights throughout 2018
While the year is just beginning, you’ve already got a wealth of wisdom in hand. As 2018 unfolds, keeping checking back for the latest insights from recruiting leaders and a heaping helping of inspiration to make this year your best one yet.
To receive blog posts like this one straight in your inbox, subscribe to the blog newsletter.