How do I get started?
You can start advertising on LinkedIn using self-service advertising tools, programmatic buying, or dedicated account team support.
Campaign Manager is a self-service advertising platform where you can deliver highly relevant, targeted messages to unique audiences through:
The platform lets you set up ad accounts and control your total advertising costs by setting a campaign start and end date and maximum daily budget. You can spend as little or as much as you would like, depending on the allocated budget that you set.
To get started, sign in to Campaign Manager. All you need is a LinkedIn account and a credit card.
You can programmatically purchase LinkedIn Display Ads through your preferred programmatic buying platform. To get started, talk to your media buying team at your current programmatic buying provider.
To see if your business qualifies for dedicated account team support, contact Sales.
Should I contact Sales?
What targeting options are available?
These targeting options are available on all Marketing Solutions products:
- Location (required)
- Company Name (current employer listed on member's profile)
- Company Industry
- Company Size
- Job Title
- Job Function
- Job Seniority
- Member Skills
- Member Schools
- Fields of Study
- Member Groups - up to 100 active groups
- Member Gender
- Member Age
A maximum of 100 selections are permitted per targeting option. To expand the reach of your campaign, enable Audience Expansion.
You can also run account-based marketing (ABM) campaigns to specific account lists using Account Targeting.*
*Available only to LinkedIn-assisted clients. (Not self-service.)
Where do my ads appear on LinkedIn?
- Sponsored Content ads appear in the homepage feed (on desktop, mobile, and tablet) and in the right rail of the desktop homepage.
- Text Ads are only available on desktop. They may appear under "Ads You May Be Interested In" and as text link advertisements found at the top of the homepage.
- Sponsored InMail ads appear directly in a LinkedIn member's Inbox when he or she is online. ( See how Sponsored InMail works.)
For all other ad formats:
How are LinkedIn ads priced?
For managed campaigns sold through a LinkedIn account team, ads are priced using pay-per-click (CPC) or pay-per-1,000 impressions (CPM).
- Advertisers can choose the pricing methodology that best aligns with their campaign goals.
For advertisers using LinkedIn's self-service advertising platform (Campaign Manager), you can set your own budget for campaigns.
You control your campaign's cost in two ways:
- Setting budgets (the maximum total amount you want to spend per day).
- Setting bids (the maximum amount you want to pay for each click or
every 1,000 impressions). There are two bidding options:
- Pay-per-click (CPC): You specify the maximum amount you're willing to pay per click (example: $3.00 per click) and set a daily budget to identify the most that you're willing to spend each day.
- Pay-per-1,000 impressions (CPM): You specify a set cost for each 1,000 times your ad is shown, no matter how many clicks you receive. This is a good option if you care more about the number of times your ad is shown than the number of clicks.
With both options, Campaign Manager shows you a suggested bid range which represents an estimate of the current competing bids by other advertisers who are targeting the same audience.
In general, the higher you bid in this range, the more likely you are to receive clicks and impressions.
Note: Since you're competing with other advertisers for clicks and impressions, there isn't a set cost for an ad campaign. It's auction-based and not guaranteed inventory.
What is the minimum cost to advertise on LinkedIn?
For self-service ads available through Campaign Manager, the minimum costs are:
- $10 daily budget per campaign.
- $10 total budget per campaign (an optional feature for Sponsored Content).
- $2 minimum bid (for CPC or CPM).
Note: The minimum CPC or CPM bid for Sponsored Content varies depending on the audience you target.
To run managed ad campaigns through a Marketing Solutions salesperson requires a minimum spend. This varies by region but typically a quarterly marketing budget of more than USD 5,000 per quarter is required. (See: Should I contact Sales?)