Free vs. paid hiring tools on LinkedIn for recruiters
Your guide to unlocking the tools and resources you need, for any recruiting goal or budget.
Click to play background video
Click to pause background video
Finding the right hiring tools
There are many ways for hiring managers and recruiters to find, attract, and recruit top candidates on LinkedIn. Let’s break down the difference between free and paid tools by taking a look at two different people — Felix and Penelope.
Felix uses free hiring tools.
Felix only hires once or twice a year, so he doesn’t feel it’s necessary to make a strategic investment. These hiring tools meet his recruitment needs, but he has to finish many tasks manually.
• Share jobs with his network.
• Search for candidates within connected circles.
• Send unlimited messages within his network.
• Manage communications and pipeline status manually.
Penelope uses paid hiring tools.
As part of a company with a talent acquisition team, Penelope has steady hiring needs and will be hiring for three or more roles this year. She wants a more strategic approach and a hiring ecosystem.
• Find the right candidate with 40+ advanced search filters.
• Send 150 monthly InMail messages to any of LinkedIn’s 875M members (and enjoy better response rates).
• Share projects with teammates.
• Access tailored talent pool and company insights.
Here's what Felix and Penelope can do.
With free hiring tools,
With free hiring tools,
With paid hiring tools, Penelope can:
With paid hiring tools,
Free | Member access
Access 3rd-degree connections.
• View profiles from his extended network up to a 3rd-degree connection across LinkedIn.
Paid | Member access
Access all 875M LinkedIn members.
Free | Search
Leverage six search filters.
• On LinkedIn.com, conduct high-level searches using six filters, including job title, industry, and name.
Paid | Search
Leverage 40+ search filters.
• In LinkedIn Recruiter, conduct more advanced searches and home in on candidate shortlists by using 40+ advanced search filters.
Free | Messaging
Message 1st-degree connections.
• Contact 1st-degree connections using LinkedIn’s messaging platform.
Paid | Messaging
Message anyone on LinkedIn.
• Reach out to anyone on LinkedIn with 150 messages per month — and use InMail to get a 3x-higher response rate than email.
Free | Jobs
Post a free job.
• Post 1 free job at a time for a maximum of 30 days.
• Free job posts appear in non-promoted search results with limited visibility.
Paid | Jobs
Target jobs to relevant candidates.
• Pay to promote an unlimited number of jobs at a time, get placement at top of LinkedIn job search results, target qualified candidates, and get charged only for job views.
Hiring at scale? Contact sales to learn more about a consistent or surge need.
Free | Collaboration
Track hiring processes manually.
• Manage communications and track pipeline status and applicant response rate manually, using external spreadsheets and messaging platforms.
Paid | Collaboration
Make insight-driven decisions.
• Share candidate profiles and feedback with teammates in one pipeline.
• Use LinkedIn Talent Insights to make informed decisions based on personalized industry and market trends.
• Get on-demand, intuitive reports about effective InMail templates, applicant demographics, and more.
Free | Company Pages
Create a LinkedIn Page.
• Create a LinkedIn Page to share the big picture about his business.
• Post open roles on his LinkedIn Page feed to connect with potential candidates more quickly.
Paid | Career Pages
Create Career Pages.
• Create a Career Page to highlight company culture and get 19x more job views.
• Find candidates through employees’ networks by running Work With Us Ads, which get up to 50x higher click-through rates than typical recruitment ads.
Use the right recruiting tools for you.
Whichever tools best suit your needs, we offer hiring and recruiting tools for every step in the process. Find and engage the right candidates, build your brand, and make even smarter talent decisions with LinkedIn’s data and insights.
Need more information?
Reach out to our talent specialists to learn more about paid solutions from LinkedIn.