Sponsored Content tips
Get tips to create effective ads, test, and optimize for Sponsored Content campaigns.
Understand your advertising ROI
Conversions are actions that you’ve defined as valuable to your business, like submitting leads, downloading content, making purchases, or registering for events.
Conversion tracking shows how many people took those actions after clicking on or viewing your LinkedIn ads. This helps you measure the ROI of ad campaigns by their impact on your business.
Get started with conversion tracking
How to set up conversion tracking
Setting up conversion tracking is easy:
1. Add a line of code (LinkedIn Insight Tag) to your website. You only need to do this once.
2. Create new conversions.
3. Add conversions to your campaigns.
Follow these tips to get the most out of conversion tracking:
• Install your LinkedIn Insight Tag in the global footer of your website. Place the code just before the <body> tag in your site’s HTML. This tags every page in your domain.
• If you already have an Insight Tag installed on a website, do not install another one.
• It may take up to 24 hours after installation before your new Insight Tag is verified. If it’s been longer than that, use these troubleshooting tips.
• Create conversions based on actions that are meaningful to your business.
• Add conversion actions to each campaign. Choose the actions that match your objectives for the campaign.
• As you create new conversions, label them by type (like lead, signup, or purchase). You’ll be able track groups of conversions, in addition to individual conversions.
• Assign a dollar amount to each conversion. The conversion value will help you calculate ROI based on the different types of conversion you have.
Optimize by conversion type
Enable automatic optimization when creating a new campaign. Choose the most important conversion type for that campaign, and Campaign Manager will optimize based on your selection.
Optimize your targeting
• Use demographic reporting to view the actions of specific audiences. You can segment your audience by Seniority, Industry, Job function, Company size, and Location.
• See which audiences are generating strong conversion results. Adjust your ad targeting to more of the people who respond well to your ads.
• Learn which audiences are underperforming. Target these people with tests (tips below) to improve conversion rates.
Optimize your content
• Within campaign metrics, click on Conversions to view the cost per conversion (CPC) or conversion rate.
• Compare different ads in the campaign to see which have the lowest CPC or highest conversion rate.
• Use your best performing ads to A/B test different elements, so you can build on your success.
• Check the content of your least successful ads to learn what to avoid.
• If performance metrics (like click-through rate) are high for an ad, but you have a lower conversion rate, check your landing page and website for opportunities to improve.
• Use demographic insights to see which types of content resonate best with different audiences. Tailor ad content to each target audience.